Saturday, January 22, 2011

Our New Addition




On Friday, January 14, 2011, I was awoken to an unusual sensation.  This sensation occurred at the exact moment that Adam turned off his phone to go to sleep.  This was not unlike the moment when my water broke with Alexander.  After a few minutes of trying to determine if this is what just occurred, a call to the doctor, and Adam's sister, Madeline, we began packing our things.  Upon arriving at the hospital around 12:30 am they too had difficulty determining if my water had broken.  Two tests showed a negative result, but a ferning test and ultrasound showed my fluid level was low and it was amniotic fluid.  

With Alexander I walked for hours.  The doctor on call would only allow me to walk for twenty minutes at a time and then monitor contractions.  Contractions were still irregular, but by 5 am were about five minutes apart.  They were not very intense.  With little progress and still being only one centimeter dilated they insisted on beginning pitocin at 5 am Saturday morning.  I still continued to progress slowly although the contractions were more intense.  At 8:15 I was disappointed that I was only two centimeters although contractions were extremely intense.  As they continued to increase the level of pitocin I knew I could not stand it much longer.  I agreed to the staydol which had given me tremendous relief with Alexander.  Unfortunately, this time I did not have such relief.  From 8:15 to 9:45 contractions were horrid and I asked if they could turn the pitocin down instead of up.  I was nearly ready to go for the epidural until I learned I was 8 centimeters.  I was thrilled and knew I could make it two more centimeters.  This happened quickly and by 10:00 am I was ready to push.  The doctor was not there yet and I was dying to push.  I began pushing at 10:10 and at 10:24 baby Audrey arrived with only three pushes.  With Alexander I pushed for nearly an hour. 
January 15, 2011 10:24 am.  She was here and she was beautiful.  She weighed 7 pounds 2 ounces and was 20 inches long.  She had lots of dark hair.  She was perfect.  
Unlike Alexander, she enjoyed her first bath.  She was a pro at nursing immediately.  She loved being close to Mommy and insisted on sleeping right next to me.  

On Monday, we were released to come home.  Alexander had visited the hospital, but bringing her into his environment would be the true test.  He was very excited to see and hold her.  He was very gentle and sweet.  He did struggle with Mommy and Daddy not being able to do everything he needed or wanted immediately.  
Adam is in love with Audrey.  She enjoys his guitar playing and singing.  Mommy enjoys the quiet feedings that are preceded with loud screaming during a diaper change.  Audrey is much more vocal than Alexander was at this point.  She hates to have her clothes or diaper changed.  She eats every two hours and can hardly stay awake long enough to make it through a feeding.  She is a perfect gift from the Lord.  "For this child I prayed, and the Lord granted my petition."  1 Samuel 1:27
The only thing that would make this new addition to our family complete and perfect is if Daddy Bob were here.  He wanted so badly to have another granddaughter.  She will never know the most wonderful grandfather in the world.  
I pray each day passes slowly so I may enjoy every minute with my precious children.  They grow so quickly.  If only they could stay little forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment