Adam and I have been married for ten years today. On this day ten years ago we enjoyed White Castles together after not getting to eat much at our own wedding reception. Too much talking and dancing. Even 11,000 miles apart I love him more and more each day.
Not unlike many others I have an addiction to Starbucks. Fortunately, it is not the caffeine that draws me there. I always order a nonfat, decaf, caramel frappuccino, no whip. Recently my husband has learned to appreciate my affinity for Starbucks. Although he does have a caffeine habit, his is form Mountain Dew, he loves the Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino. I don't think this drink has any coffee in it, but we can at least both enjoy a date at Starbucks together.
Since I can't bring myself to pay five dollars for this amazing refreshment the only way I stop by Starbucks is when I have a gift card. It is rare for me to get gifts from students anymore, but this year Adam was the recipient of many Starbucks gift cards from his students at school. (No, I am not really that mean of a teacher that I don't get gifts, but most parents don't even know that I exist, much less have their child in my reading group. Sad, but true.)
Not unlike many others I have an addiction to Starbucks. Fortunately, it is not the caffeine that draws me there. I always order a nonfat, decaf, caramel frappuccino, no whip. Recently my husband has learned to appreciate my affinity for Starbucks. Although he does have a caffeine habit, his is form Mountain Dew, he loves the Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino. I don't think this drink has any coffee in it, but we can at least both enjoy a date at Starbucks together.
Since I can't bring myself to pay five dollars for this amazing refreshment the only way I stop by Starbucks is when I have a gift card. It is rare for me to get gifts from students anymore, but this year Adam was the recipient of many Starbucks gift cards from his students at school. (No, I am not really that mean of a teacher that I don't get gifts, but most parents don't even know that I exist, much less have their child in my reading group. Sad, but true.)
Anyway, I think I have mastered my own version of the caramel frappuccino. I am guessing at the measurements of course, because that is my cooking style.
Brew some coffee and refrigerate. Pour 1/2 cup cold coffee into blender. Add 1/2 cup of milk. Drop in 8-10 ice cubes and a teaspoon of sugar. Blend until ice is finely crushed. Top with several squeezes of caramel syrup.
I have tried the mocha as well, but definitely prefer the caramel.
So after making waffles for breakfast, pizza and salad for lunch, enchiladas and quinoa for dinner, it was time to figure out what dessert to make for Community Group. Since Adam was not in attendance I could veer from my usual chocolate menu. After taking inventory of my pantry I found several cans of evaporated milk and four frozen Spalding's doughnuts in the freezer. So here is what we came up with at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/doughnut-bread-pudding/detail.aspx
Doughnut Bread Pudding
* 4 stale raised glazed donuts
* 1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
* 2 eggs (room temperature)
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
* 2 tablespoons white sugar (optional)
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
* 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a small glass baking dish.
2. Tear the donuts into bite-size pieces. Combine donut pieces and raisins in the prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to blend together the eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract. Mix in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour the milk mixture over the donuts in the dish, and press down lightly to help absorption. Let stand for 15 minutes, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Place the baking dish inside a larger baking dish, and fill the outer dish with enough water to go about halfway up the sides. A dishcloth may also be placed under the bread dish, to prevent drying.
4. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Yummy! After all that food I hit the treadmill at 10:30 pm.
Yummy! After all that food I hit the treadmill at 10:30 pm.

Happy Anniversary to you both!!!
ReplyDelete