One Christmas morning, when Beanie Babies were popular, Daddy woke me up early and said, “Hope, come see what Santa brought.” Although in college, I would have never told my Daddy there was no such thing as Santa. Daddy was a kid at heart, and nothing less than the wonder and surprise of Santa would do for him. Beneath the tree, not wrapped, as the usual Santa manner for our family, sat the Praying Hope Bear Beanie Baby. This was not the small version, but the full sized bear. His tag read, “Every night when it's time for bed, Fold your hands and bow your head. An angelic face, a heart that's true. You have a friend to pray with you!” What a special Christmas morning before the sun rose, with the Christmas trees aglow and the anticipation of another celebration of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
This bear has been with me since. Recently Alexander was playing with the bear and accidentally removed the heart shaped tag. By the look on my face he could tell I was disappointed. He sweetly said, “Sorry Mommy.” It wasn’t that I was angry with Alexander, but I wanted to preserve that bear just like I want to preserve my childhood and every precious memory with my wonderful dad. Although I have never had a comfort item, other than the Cowboys fleece blanket that I sleep with every night, I am confident this bear will remain a lasting memory of my precious Daddy.

No comments:
Post a Comment