Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stars and Stripes

As a child we would always celebrate the Fourth of July in Mt. Eden.  The festivities included a parade, beauty contest, greased pigs, and food at my Grandmother's. Wait, I can't forget the horseshoeing contest.  Did you know that I was Little Ms. Mt. Eden one year?  As I got older we spent the holiday at the Glass family farm.  After Erin died in sixth grade it was never the same.  Each first holiday or special event that passes without Daddy is difficult and unusual.  
 

This year the day was rather ordinary, a trip to Wal-Mart, Qdoba, and Michael's.  The evening was a little more exciting with a surprise visit from Jessica and Derek.  The kids and I enjoyed a walk around the block.  Alexander was constantly asking when the fireworks would start.  I was reluctant to allow him to watch, fearing that he would be afraid of the loud noises.  Much to my surprise his eyes lit up with the spark of each colorful shower.  After a few squealers he asked to go back inside and watch. It is so fun to watch my children enjoy the things I enjoyed as a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment