Sunday, October 16, 2011

Packing, Moving, and Life in Nebraska

On Monday, September 19th we started packing. The moving trucks would arrive on September 28th. I know this isn’t much time to pack, but I had to maintain normalcy until after Alexander’s third birthday. After living in our house for five and a half years it was difficult to take apart all that I had worked hard to get everything just the way I wanted it. The hardest part was taking apart sweet Audrey’s nursery. 




On Wednesday, September 28th, Adam and I picked up two U-Hauls. One was a 26 foot truck and the other was 17 feet. At first I thought there was no way we would fill two trucks. Early that afternoon I realized how wrong I was. As we started packing the truck, with the help of family and friends, I came to realize that not everything was going to be going with us to Nebraska. It was overwhelming at moments. I would just walk around wondering what to do next. We got to the point where we just started putting things in boxes regardless of the unusual combination. I am so thankful for all those who helped us pack and move, my brothers Rob and Derrick, and many from Providence Community Church, Ryan May, Paul & Carrie Valentine, Derek & Jessica Bostic, Colby & Christi Willen, Stephen Burnett, Carolyn McDonald, Lisa Karam, the Skidmores, Jerry Robinson, Keith Walters, Anthony Karam, and ….
On Thursday, Adam picked up two guys from Nebraska, Johnny and Daniel. They went straight to the Bostics and helped to pack their truck. We all quickly came to the same realization that all their things were not going to fit on one truck as well. Thankfully, they were able to make two trips rather than leave behind some things like we were going to have to do. We headed back to Lexington and began unloading their things while continuing to load our belongings onto the truck. Can you imagine what the neighbors were thinking? Three U-Hauls, two moving out and one moving in, simultaneously.
On Friday morning the trucks headed back to Frankfort for more packing. We squeezed in a few more pieces of furniture and lots of clothes for Alexander. In the end we ended up leaving the following things in Lexington. Porch swing, two rocking chairs (I pulled from the neighbors trash), kitchen cart, dresser, Adam’s smoker and grill, and Christmas tree. There just wasn’t enough room for these things. After the trucks left I realized several items had accidently been forgotten. The major thing included Alexander’s basketball goal. Guess we know what to get him for Christmas now.
Adam and Madeline drove to Nebraska on Saturday, October 1st. They didn’t get far when I realized Adam had left his new pillow. This isn’t just any pillow. I knew I wouldn’t have room for it in my luggage so he had to turn around and get it. Not a good way to start at 14 hour drive. Oh well. The brother and sister combo made it to Kansas City Saturday night. They finished their road trip Sunday afternoon. They arrived in Oakland where the church congregation was eagerly unloading the U-Hauls. Since our parsonage was not yet ready they provided us with a house to live in temporarily. The major downfall was that the house is only two bedrooms.
Sunday I went to Evergreen Baptist Church, where I grew up, and saw many familiar faces. It was odd being there without Daddy. It was also difficult to see many people who were young and vibrant, in my memory, aging. I am certainly thankful to not have to see my father in that state. He would have hated to be old and losing his physical capacities slowly.
On Monday the kids and I enjoyed dinner with the Geldhofs. Parker and Alexander have become good buddies. Jenn and I have grown so close as we have had several similar life experiences together in the last three years. Our boys are very close in age, we both lost a parent, and had our second children this year as well. On Tuesday I took Parker, Alexander, and Audrey to Monkey Joe’s. Alexander kept saying he wanted to go to Monkey Joe’s, “one more time.” Karla, Carolyn, and Ariel joined us as well. It was a quick trip, then we headed to Dixie for one last school responsibility. We gave several goodbye hugs. Earlier in the day we said goodbye to Derek, Jessica, and sweet baby Addison. Derek and Jessica have invested so much time and love in the lives of my children. Jessica and Alexander were so close. You develop a special bond with the person who takes care of your children. I couldn’t be more thankful for having such a wonderful childcare provider for my precious babies. Jessica and I have become extremely close friends as well. She spent many days with us early in Audrey’s life. She was there through the difficult colicy days when I wasn’t sure what to do with my crying baby. It was a difficult goodbye with lots of tears. I am thankful that Derek and Jess have the opportunity to live in our house, and that we don’t have to try to sell it now, but I know it will be difficult or awkward for them to live there since we are gone.
After Dixie we had dinner with Kelley. Adam said Chinese food may be hard to come by in Nebraska so we enjoyed some Moo Goo Gai Pan at IChing. We then made our final return down I-64 to Frankfort. We were greeted with many visitors, Rob, Cissy, and the entire Hudson family. The kids played and we all tried not to cry.
 


 On Wednesday morning we packed our things and went to visit Nana and Cissy one last time. Then we headed to Cracker Barrel for one last southern meal. We enjoyed our pancakes and eggs and headed for the airport. I was not sure how I was going to manage two children on two flights and two hours in Chicago Midway, but knew there were lots of people praying for us. From Louisville to Chicago, Audrey slept the entire flight and Alexander enjoyed playing with the tray table and eating pretzels. While in Chicago, Midway we got a snack and played. Passengers and airport staff were very helpful with the kids. Shortly after takeoff from Chicago Alexander fell asleep. I was hopeful that Audrey would go to sleep as well, but that didn’t happen. Not long into the flight I began to feel sick. I kept looking around trying to figure out who could hold Audrey if I got sick. I kept asking God to keep me from getting sick. I was counting the minutes until I could get off the plane. Upon arrival in Omaha I headed straight for the restrooms. By the time we were greeted by Adam and Madeline I knew I was turning green. Immediately upon reaching the car I threw up. This continued all the way to Oakland every twenty minutes or so. Due to a road closure the one hour drive turned into an almost two hour trip. I was never more excited to be at the new house. As soon as we walked in the door Alexander threw up on the kitchen floor. What an awesome welcome gift! I knew I was in for a long night. Alexander and I slept together taking turns getting sick. It was the night that would never end. By 5:00 am we had finally stopped throwing up. When I would throw up, Alexander would say, “Mommy, I know, I know.” Such a sympathetic little guy.
On Thursday we began to explore the new house as our energy returned. It was difficult for me to not be able to jump right in and get the house in order. I knew Friday I would feel much better, but guess what happened Friday morning. Yes, Adam was sick. Welcome to Nebraska. 










 This is just our temporary house.  The parsonage is not ready yet.  It is undergoing major renovations.

1 comment:

  1. So glad for the updates! So sorry for the sickness though. what a sweet boy for his words to you :)
    Glad you all are some what settled and there safely. We are so sorry we missed the good bye party. We really wanted to be there, but mady was sick and we were all feeling like we were coming down with it too. We did. Life with children. Sickness happens. We will be praying for you all. Excited to hear more about your new church!

    ReplyDelete